We had our first “Kids Outdoor Fun Club” meeting and brainstormed all the possible events that we could hold at SHFC. There were many great ideas for all seasons, but none of them were more fitting than a bonfire and hayrides for this Fall. So, on November 7th, starting at 7 p.m. we’ll have a bonfire, hayrides, s’mores and cider available to kids/grand kids of members and non-members. This will be a great opportunity for the whole family to enjoy the outdoors.
When: November 7th, starting at 7 p.m.
Where: Sparta Hunting and Fishing Club
Who: Kids of Members and Non-Members ages 5-15
Cost: Free (donations are accepted)
Other: Parents/Guardians need to be present and sign a release form. Please bring a folding chair. Limited seating will be available.
WANT TO HELP? If you want to help. we are looking for:
- Kids that would like to chair on the committee
- Adults that want to help organize events
- Donations for Kids Outdoor Fun Club events
- 20 hay bails for this event (hay will be fed to the deer over the winter months)
Email email@example.com if you would like to participate or help out.
Thanks to everyone that participated in the first meeting: Kira Woodhouse, Ally Woodhouse, Karen Seites, Randy Baker, Dave Burnett, Kris Blanchard, Larry Postema and Rob Woodhouse.
Categories: Events, General
Annually, Sparta Hunting an Fishing Club offers an open day to hunters to sight in their rifles and shotguns free of charge. This year it is on Saturday, November 8th. Simply bring your firearm, ammo and gear and join us at the rifle range (follow the signs).
When: Nov 8th, 2014 Starting at 10:00 a.m.
Where: SHFC rifle Range
Who: Open to Public. Members and Non-Members
Every year SHFC sends boxes to the troops. In order for this to be successful we need your help. First, we are collecting items listed below, or if you prefer to donate money, each box costs approximately $15 to ship. Any donation is appreciated. If you want to help, please contact Karen Seites at 616-678-4523 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donations need to be submitted by Nov. 30th. Thanks!
Items needed (No pork or alcohol in items, please read ingredients):
- T-Shirts…black, dark green, brown
- Socks…white, black, brown, grey
- Gloves… jersey
- Disposable razors
- Gum, Hard candy (wrapped)
- Microwave popcorn
- Granola bars/protein bars
- Magazines, puzzle books, games
- Note book paper, envelops, stamps
- Beef jerky, Fruit roll ups
- Tooth brushes and toothpaste
- Dental floss/chap stick
- Pens and pencils
- Tissues, cotton swabs, cotton balls
- Paying cards/Phone cards
- Pudding cups
- Small fruit cups
- Tuna or chicken salad kits
I would like to announce the creation of a SHFC Kids/Youth Club. Our goal is to encourage outdoor fun in our beautiful SHFC setting for kids of the ages 5-15. If you are current associate member or full member and have kids or grand kids that would like to be involved in setting the activities for the new club, I would like to invite you to our first open meeting this coming Thursday (10/16) from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Establish a interim committee
- Establish a name for the Kids/Youth Club
- Establish a mailing list
- Brainstorm activities/events
We are really looking for youth stewardship of this club, so bring your socially minded youngsters with you to the meeting.
Looking forward to seeing you there,
On September 20th the club lost a life member. Mr. Richard Loseth passed away at his home. He will be missed by his family here at the club. Dick was a very special person to a lot of us. Visitation is Friday September 26th from 2-4pm and 6-8pm at Throop Funeral Home in Ravenna. The funeral is Saturday Sept. 27th at 11 am at the funeral home.
Please make sure you review the by-laws that were issued to you when you received your membership packet. If you are in violation of the bi-laws you are risking loss of membership. If you see anyone violating safety rules, please report it to the club President or any board member.
Please watch the Range Safety video below:
Due to the abuse of some members, no clay pigeon shooting will be allowed other than Sundays (10am – 4pm) and Thursdays (2 – 8pm) or as scheduled by management. Effective immediately.
This decision has been reversed. If you do shoot pigeons outside of normal club hours it must be past the trap bunkers and in the same direction that the traps throw them. If you are in doubt, contact any board member to get clarification.
It is all of our responsibility to ensure safe gun handling at the club. Membership cards need to be presented anytime one is asked. If you see unsafe activity ask for their membership card and call (616) 606-0770.
Thank you for your cooperation.
The SHFC Board
Action Pistol Practice keeps getting better! We have more props, digital scoring, more fun and we are now able to have non-members attend by signing a waiver.
- Pistol: 9mm or larger
- Holster: Strong-side belt holster that covers the trigger guard and is not flimsy (GOOD: Blade-Tech, Fobus, Kydex holsters BAD: soft nylon holster, or a cross-draw, or a shoulder rig)
- two single mag pouches or a double magazine pouch (e.g. Blade-Tech)
- 3 magazines
- 100 rounds of ammunition (reloads are fine, GreatLakes generally has pistol ammo in stock)
- Next Practice Night is Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 (check the calender for additional nights)
- Signup: 5:45 p.m.
- Safety Brief: 6:00 p.m.
- Practice start: 6:05 p.m.
- SHFC Members: $5
- Non-Members: $7
Video from last week’s Squad 2:
It’s that time again. Mark your calendars for September 21, 2014 for this epic 3-gun event. Bring your shotgun, but don’t forget you pistol and rifle…. Shotgun ammo is available at the club, please bring your rifle and pistol ammo.
Yes! This week you get to stop a bank heist, if you join us at the club. Kris and Jay are putting together a great scenario for our bi-weekly USPSA/IDPA Action Pistol Practice. So bring your gear (pistol & strong side holster, 3 magazines & a mag holder) and be prepared to become a hero.
Second, we’ll be also practicing some standard pistol drills (a.k.a. classifiers) to hone our skills.
Third, we’ll celebrate the end of July with a 32 round count USPSA long course “Stage 8: You’ve captured their stunt doubles!”, ripped right out of the playbook from the 2014 Indiana State Championship match!
Now that you are excited here are some more details:
- We’ll be using Practiscore to score. Scoring will be USPSA method (total points shot / shooting time = Hitfactor. Higher hitfactor is better)
- $5 for members.
- Each member may bring one guest (add $5).
- Registration starts at 5:45 p.m. and ends at 6:00 p.m.
- At 6 p.m. we’ll have a short safety briefing before we start shooting.
- email email@example.com